I recently think about using page plus as my backup cell phone plan. The reasons are
1. the coverage of verizon network coverage.
2. the newly rolled out $80 for 2000 minutes last a year plan.
Something I worry about:
Page plus sub-hell customer services and their unstable/inaccurate billing system.
Finally decide to give it a try. The phone I picked is a Palm Pre.
Here is the procedures to use a Palm Pre with page plus standard plan. Most of the work is to setup the phone. I bought my Palm Pre off craigslist for $60. Right after the deal, I bought a page plus activation off ebay from kittywireless. Their hard work and awesome customer service helped my stay away from page plus customer service daemons. Kitty activated my phone really quick and sent me the procedure for me to do on my phone in less than an hour.
To activate the phone line:
- Tap the right low corner of the screen. Choose “Emergency Call”, so I can dial a number out. The “Customer Service” call won’t allow me to modify the number to dial.
- Revmove the 911 number, and put the number sent from kitty. It’s *22890 or *228. *22890 should program the phone automatically.
- If the phone shows ‘connecting’ but no ‘connected’ for long time, hangup and wait for at least 15 minutes.
- Repeat step 2.
- Now the Palm Pre is activated.
Because my standard pageplus plan does not provide data access, now the issue is to bypass the palm profile setup on the phone (Palm Activation). If you have data from page plus, you can go ahead setup your palm profile.
- Download Palm WebDoctor from here. http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/pre/recoverytool/webosdoctor_faq_carrier_en.html
- Download PlamOS Quick Install from here. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/274461-webos-quick-install-v4-03-a.html
- Download the activation bypass tool from palm here.
- Run the PalmOS Quick Install first. It will take care of the driver problem on Windows XP.
- Run WebDoctor, see if it can see the Palm Pre, even in recovery mode.
- Follow the procedure to put the phone in recovery mode, and run the activation bypass tool as ‘java -jar devicetool.jar’. For details, read the bypass the activation.
- Run WebOSQuickInstall. Search for Preware and install it. Since I bypassed the phone activation and ended up no palm profile, I cannot use the app catalog and updates. With Preware, I can install apps and updates.
- I am ready to go.
- Extra works:
- Google weatherman, see if you can find a free ipkg copy of their old verion. The newer 2.1 one costs only $1.99.
- Install facebook beta 1.5 from Preware. On the first run, Plam Pre sync with all facebook contacts.
- Install InternalZ from Preware.
- Install Dr. Battery from Preware.
- Sync my google account with my Palm Pre.